September 3 - 4, 2006
Cody, WyomingEstablished in 1901, the town of Cody is named after the famous William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, who first came to the region in the 1870's. His original Irma hotel still operates today and features nightly "gunfights" staged in the town's streets.
The Big Horn BasinThe Big Horn Basin is the large, semi-arid plateau area that sits between the Absaroka Mountain Range to the west, which forms the eastern boundary of Yellowstone Park, and the Big Horn Mountains to the east. It is mainly agricultural, dotted with irrigated farms and cattle ranches, as well as some mining areas.
DNR RanchOne of many ranches along the highway between Cody and Yellowstone, the DNR is family owned and operated. The main lodge was built in 1905 and is presently the oldest home on the Yellowstone Highway.
The Buffalo Bill Reservoir"Buffalo Bill" Cody was influential in bringing irrigation and agricultural development into the area. Some of the land used to implement the reservoir project was originally owned by him and acquired by the federal government. The Buffalo Bill Dam was completed in 1910 and, at the time, was the highest dam in the world.
Copyright © 2003 - 2009 Todd A Garrison